Archive for the ‘Design’ category
OK, just one more post about the damn candle holders before I show you the finished product. I can’t help myself. The texture in the wood (birch) is really popping now that they’ve been treated with a mix of linseed oil and turpentine. One more turn of sanding by hand on Friday and then another coat of oil/turpentine — then it’s time for paint (and the actual candle fixtures in some kind of metal).
BTW, I’m happy to say that the amount of visitors have trippled since I started to blog more frequently. It’s so nice to have you guys visiting this small blog in the utmost (funny word!) corner of the Internet!
I’m doing a new batch of the curvy wood candle holders. This time; birch. Only a few will be in its natural wood texture, most of them will be in English Red and a special Swedish color called Dalablå (Dala Blue). I found two variants of these colors and attached them to this post for reference. I’ve already got the pigments back in the wood shop, not sure how they will actually turn out in the end, kind of exciting.
Anyway, they are going to be super nice. One is already sold (they’re not even 50% done yet). The actual metal candle fixtures will be in “metal” and “gold”. I don’t like the gold ones — but the customers do, and they are always wrong. Will post some more as the work progresses, or I’ll just post the final item. Have a nice weekend!
I almost forgot to write an update on my latest woodworking project! I laid my finishing touches on it well over a week ago but I couldn’t write about it until today.
Why, you may ask? Well, you see — it was a Christmas gift for my father. Here is a link to the previous post. Anyway, here it is, the Alder Wood Candle Holder:
It turned out real nice and I’m doing two more after the Christmas break. I’ve already started and I can’t wait to get back to work! Bigger pics of the piece can be viewed at my Flickr page. Two more in the works…
We had our yearly Christmas Bazaar a few weeks ago (November 25:th). I missed out since I was at the hospital.
It was a huge success and our woodworking department sold almost everything we had worked on during the year.
So, it’s time to start anew with a fresh project. I chose to do a new light holder, it’ll make a perfect Christmas present and I hope it’ll be ready in time! Project name: ‘Curvy’. The first step was cutting it out in the band saw, then quite a bit of work on the belt sander, then back again to the saw doing the cut outs. After a few turns back and forth it’s sanding by hand — I guess it’ll take… forever. Sanding by hand is tedious but it’s totally worth it. I’ll keep you guys in the loop!